Saturday 7 April 2012

Avengers vs. X-Men #1 Review: A Great Start

After the somewhat underwhelming Avengers vs. X-Men #0, I was worried that this year's event from the house of ideas would be hugely disappointing - like so many before it. Thankfully, I actually really enjoyed #1 - which is in many ways the first proper issue of this series.

For those of you still unaware at the premise of AvX - here's a brief spoiler-free summary. An alien energy force - known as the Phoenix Force - is coming back to earth. The last time this force was on our planet, it used the X-Man Jean Grey as a host and she ended up dying in order to save the world from the force's immense power.
Now, the Phoenix Force is coming back to Earth in order to find a host in the "Mutant Messiah" Hope Summers. Cyclops leader of the X-Men) believes that if Hope can find a way to control the force, then the dwindling mutant species can receive some new life. Meanwhile The Avengers believe that this force is only going to bring bad stuff. Like more death.

This is what sets the Avengers and the X-Men apart.


Now to talk about the issue itself. I have to say I'm impressed. I had my doubts with #0, but this issue turns out to be well paced, and well written with a great script. It does a good job in filling in those who may not be experts on the matter at hand - which was good for me because I missed events like House of M, and Avengers: X-Sanction.

The only issue I had with this...um...issue, was John Romita's art. There's nothing particularly bad about it, but I've just never been a fan of his art. It's always seemed a bit too square and simple to me.

Apart from that, Avengers vs. X-Men is a great start to this year's Marvel event and one that fills me with hope that it might break the trend of disappointing events that have been plaguing comic fans in recent years.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.